There's No Place His Steadfast Love Cannot Go

There is no place the steadfast love of the Lord cannot go. His love reaches across the Desert of Longing, into the Prison of Rebellion, through the Affliction of Sin, and plunges the Ocean of Fear. 

The Desert of Longing

[...] his steadfast love endures forever! [...]Some wandered in desert wastes, finding no way to a city to dwell in; hungry and thirsty their soul fainted within them. They cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress. He led them by a straight way till they reached a city to dwell in. Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man! For he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things. [...] (Psalm 107: 1, 4-9)

The Prison of Rebellion

Some sat in darkness and in the shadow of death, prisoners in affliction and in irons, for they had rebelled against the words of God, and spurned the counsel of the Most High. So he bowed their hearts down with hard labor; they fell down, with none to help. They cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress. he brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and burst their bonds apart. Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man! (107: 10-15)

The Affliction of Sin

Some were fools through their sinful ways, and because of their iniquities suffered affliction; they loathed any kind of food, and they drew near to the gates of death. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress. He sent out his word and healed them and delivered them from their destruction. Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love, for his wonderous works to the children of man! And let them offer sacrifices of thanksgiving, and tell of his deeds in song of joy! (107: 17-22)

 The Ocean of Fear

Some went down to the sea in ships [...] they saw the deeds of the Lord, his wondrous works in the deep. For he commanded and raised the stormy wind, which lifted up the waves of the sea. They mounted up to heaven; they went down to the depths; their courage melted away in their evil plight; they reeled and staggered like drunken men and were at their wits' end. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress. He made the storm be still and the waves of the sea were hushed. Then they were glad that the waters were quiet, and he brought them to their desired haven. Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man! (107:23-32)

The Desert of Longing. I have become well-acquainted with this lonely place, often feeling like an alien wondering in a foreign land. Another grieving and waiting mama has often said to me she feels like an alien even among God's people. I understand that feeling well.

My soul often feels as though it is in a perpetual state of fainting within me. I have cried- and still do- to the Lord in my trouble. He has heard me; that is a truth to which I cling. His steadfast love reaches me even here in this desert. He is still leading me along that Desert Road to a city I call Home. I will thank him for his current leading and the promise of where this road ends.  

I pray daily my longings will find their satisfaction, their delight, in him. If the only way he answers my longings are with himself, I want to be beyond satisfied with that. I'm not sure I'm there yet; I long to be. And I know one day I will be. 

He satisfies my longing soul to the degree I can continue this path in the wasteland. I know satisfaction without measure and the filling of a hungry soul with all good things await me at the desert's end. He will one day raise me up and out of the deep sorrow that crushes me here. I will then be Home. I am so thankful his steadfast love doesn't leave me at any point on this desert road. It strengthens; it carries. It leads me one step at a time. 

When they were diminished and brought low through oppression, evil, and sorrow [...] he raises up the needy out of affliction. (107:39-41)

Maybe you find yourself wandering in the Desert of Longing, tossed in the Ocean of Fear, trapped in the Prison of Rebellion, or broken in the Affliction of Sin. Be encouraged, dear one, there's no place his steadfast love cannot go.


 

 

Comments