Languish, Anguish, and El Shama

Languishing in anguish. I feel this in my bones. Other words and phrases offering solidarity include: soul, troubled, 'how long?,' weary, moaning, drench, tears, weeping, waste away, and grief. This is the solidarity of scripture. How is it that, within a mere ten verses of Psalm 6, I feel as though I've landed among "my people". This is a song of desperation- one I know very well. The beauty found in verses eight and nine remind me of El Shama, the God who hears.
[...]the LORD has heard the sound of my weeping. The LORD has heard my pleas; the LORD accepts my prayer.
He is the God who hears without reprimand. Not just the praise, but also the pain. Not just the happy, but the harrowing too. Not just the gratitude, but the grief. He hears when his people languish in anguish. El Shama.

Comments